As per Sec 37 of The Gujarat Co-operative Societies Rules-1965, every Housing / Service / Commercial society shall maintain following registers:
- A Register of Members (Including Person nominated) under Section 39
- A Register of Shares (Where capital is raised by Shares)
- A Personal Share Account Register (Where capital is raised by Shares)
- A Share Transfer Register (Where capital is raised by Shares)
- A Register of declaration made under Section 49 (Lien Register) *
- Cash Account
- General Ledger
- Member’s Loan Register (If applicable)
- Deposit Account (If applicable)
- Expense Account
- Bank Account
- Minute Book, recording the proceeding of General Meetings
- Minute Book, recording the proceeding of the Committee Meetings
- Such other accounts and books as may from time to time be specified by the Registrar.
* Section 49 of Gujarat Cooperative Society Act refers to charge on immovable property of members borrowing from certain societies. Sec 49 is not applicable to housing / service / commercial society. Many banks ask for creating charge on shares against Housing / Mortgage loan, thus it is advisable to keep a Lien Register.
36 thoughts on “Types of Registers to be Maintained by Cooperative Society”
I have a self owned flat in a co-operative housing service society in Ahmedabad..
The current chairman without asking or discussing with committee members & non committee members , taking 5000-10,000 as his annual fee to maintain the registers & all..
Sir, is it legal in a co-operative housing service society to charge any fee by any chairman or committee members by providing his service towards the society maintenance?
No committee member can charge society for any activity conducted by them.
Is there any separate blog of yours’ defining differences between a co-operative housing society & co-operative housing “Service” societies ??? kindly share that would help a lot Sir..
Main difference between Housing Society and Service Society is ownership of land. Incase of Housing Society, ownership of land on which building are standing is of society, whereas Service Society has no ownership. Service society are formed only for maintaining the society.
So as per the main difference that you just cited, on the line of the same “No Transfer” is liable for any member to pay to the committee, right? since we have a formation as a “SERVICE” housing society..
In a service society in gujarat can a tenented flat be asked to pay 30% extra maintainence charges .
It there any govt rule for it .
गुजरात में एक सेवा समाज में एक किराएदार फ्लैट को 30% अतिरिक्त रखरखाव शुल्क का भुगतान करने के लिए कहा जा सकता है।
इसके लिए कोई सरकार का नियम है
Deciding maintenance is with the preview of Committee and nothing in cooperative society act prevent society from charging differential maintenance
Dear Sir, Our Society is service society registered under Gujarat Co-operative Societies Act 1961. I have a query regarding membership. Recently a flat has been purchased by a power of attorney holder in our society. As power of attorney is revocable, I would like to clarify “Can power of attorney holder be a member of society and share certificate can be transferred to his/her name or principal can only be the member of society?”.
Power of Attorney holder cannot be member of housing service society. Society will have to issue share certificate in the name of the owner.
I am a government servant. Can I be a committee member in a cooperative housing “service” society?
Eligible criteria of members to become committee members are given in byelaw clause 35 and 36. There is no clause in Gujarat Cooperative Society Act preventing a government servant from being a committee member. For further details on criteria, please refer to the article below.
Disqualification / Removal of Committee Member/s
Ours is cooperative housing society registered under Gujarat Cooperative Societies Act 1961. We have taken the handover from builder. From the papers, it appears that audit has not been conducted since last 4 years. When we asked to complete it, builder said that people from district registrar will approach us and that time we can complete it. So my question is that is it a standard practice or builder is lying. Thanks
As per Gujarat Cooperative Society Act, the auditor from the panel of the Registrar office has to audit every year. But it has been observed that auditors visit once in a few years and complete audits for the pending period.
I own a flat in an Appartment and is coop service society is formed. Terrace rights had been reserved by land owner for creating any temporary or permanent structure in terrace. However terrace is accessible to all flat holders for water supply maitainence, fixing dish antenna, any function for society or for individual. My question is- can the terrace rights will be transfer to society? Can land owner rent that space for like mobile tower erection or hoarding ?
હું રજિસ્ટર્ડ વિસેન્ઝા મેરીગોલ્ડ કો-ઓપરેટિવ હાઉસિંગ સર્વિસ સોસાયટીનો સભ્ય છું. અમારી સોસાયટીના 85 એકમો છે. બિલ્ડરે આજીવન મેન્ટેનન્સ ચાર્જ રૂ. 50000 એકત્ર કર્યા છે એટલે કુલ રૂ. 4250000/- તેણે માલિકો પાસેથી એકત્ર કર્યા છે. તેમાંથી માત્ર રૂ.3625000/- તેમણે માલિકોના સંગઠનને સોંપ્યા છે જે હાઉસિંગ સર્વિસ સોસાયટી લિ. તરીકે નોંધાયેલ છે. પાછળથી અમને ખબર પડી કેટલાક સભ્યોના ચેક તેના ખાતામાં અપૂરતી બેલેન્સને કારણે પરત ફર્યા અથવા રિજેક્ટ થયા છે અને તેઓએ પછી બિલ્ડરને ચૂકવણી પણ કરી નથી. એટલે કે 72 માલિકોએ રૂ. 50000/- આજીવન મેન્ટેનન્સ ચાર્જ .આપી છે. 72 માલિકોમાંથી 6 સભ્યોએ પૈસા ચૂકવ્યા છે પરંતુ તેમના નામ બેંકમાં તેમજ સોસાયટીના ખાતામાં દર્શાવવામાં આવ્યા નથી આ બાબત અમને પાંચ વર્ષ પછી જાણવા મળી. જ્યારે કમિટીના સભ્યો બદલાયા. હવે તે સભ્યો ચૂકવણી કરતા નથી અને તેઓ સમિતિના સભ્યો છે. તેમજ બંગલાના પુન:વેચાણ દરમિયાન, તેઓ નવા આવનારાઓ પાસેથી રૂ. 30000/- માંગે છે અને 28 નવા આવનારાઓ પાસેથી વસૂલ કાર્ય છે તો લાઈફ ટાઈમ મેઈન્ટેનન્સ ચાર્જ વસૂલવા માટે કયા સરકારી અધિનિયમ દ્વારા આપણે તેમની પાસેથી વસૂલ કરી શકીએ.. બીજી વાત એ છે કે જે માલિક નથી તેઓ સમિતિમાં છે. તો કયા નિયમો દ્વારા આપણે લડી શકીએ કૃપા કરીને મારા ઇમેઇલ સરનામાં પર જવાબ આપો.
It is possible to nominate any family member as a member of the committee who is not owner in housing service Society.
No. Only Owner can become members and only member can become committee member as per Gujarat Cooperative Society Act and byelaws
Respected Sir, THANKS A LOT.
આભાર સાહેબ, બીજી વાત એ છે કે અમારી હાઉસિંગ સર્વિસ સોસાયટીમાં 85 યુનિટ છે. 85 યુનિટમાંથી, માત્ર સિત્તેર એકમોએ લાઈફ ટાઈમ મેઈન્ટેનન્સ ચાર્જ તરીકે રૂ. 50000/- ચૂકવ્યા છે અને અન્ય તેર સભ્યો ચુકવતા નથી. આ ઉપરાંત દર મહિને રૂ.1000/- મેઇન્ટેનન્સ ચાર્જ ચૂકવીએ છીએ. તો પછી લાઈફ ટાઈમ ચાર્જનો અર્થ શું છે જેની અમે ચૂકવણી કરી છે. જેઓ લાઇફ ટાઇમ મેઇન્ટેનન્સ ચાર્જીસ આપતા નથી તેમના માટે કોઇપણ સરકારી નિયમો છે જેને લઈને પગલાં લઈ શકાય.
આદરણીય સાહેબ, જવાબ આપવા બદલ આભાર. હું એ જાણવા માંગુ છું કે 85 સભ્યોમાંથી 73 સભ્યોએ લાઇફ ટાઇમ મેઇન્ટેનન્સ ચાર્જ ચૂકવ્યો છે પરંતુ 13 સભ્યોએ ચૂકવણી કરી નથી. આ 13 સભ્યો કહે છે કે અમે બિલ્ડરને પૈસા ચૂકવ્યા છે. બિલ્ડર કહે છે કે કેટલાકના ચેક રિટર્ન થયા છે. મને જે લોકોના મળ્યાં તે બેંકના એકાઉન્ટમાં જમાં કર્યા છે જેની અમે પણ ખાતરી કરી લીધી છે. તો આ લોકોના પૈસા મેળવવા કોઈ રાજ્ય સરકારનો કાયદો છે. આ ઉપરાંત રિસેલમાં લીધેલા મકાન માલિકો પાસેથી, ગ્રોથફન્ડના નામે રૂ.30000 ઉઘરાવે છે. તો શું સર્વિસ સોસાયટી ઉઘરાવી શકે.
1. Sec 96 of Gujarat cooperative society is applicable for any dispute between member and society.
2. Service society cannot collect any amount from member during resale of the flat as per Registrar Notification of 2017 under any name.
can the society take transfer fee from us with the name “Welfare and Administration Charges ” levied for updating the new owner name in share certificate? If they cannot can you help me the circular stating the same pls, as I am facing this issue in my society .
Also please guide me with the steps I can take to report this requirement from the society and get the share certificate in my name.
Society cannot take any amount in any name for transfer. Submit application of transfer with Rs 5 Chq as entry fee and get a proof of acceptance. They have 90 days to approve or reject the same. Post which file a complain with Registrar or Board of Nominee Court
We are having a co-op housing service society and we issued shares to all members and also paying the transfer fees of Rs.40000 on every flat sale – is this leagal to take share transfer fees , Please reply soon
Karmvir Samrajya Co-op Housing Service Society
Service society cannot collect transfer fees as the Registrar circular issued in 2016.
Sir, can you please send me above mentioned registrar circular. Thanks
Can you help me with the 2016 circular at the earliest if possible sir.
I am a member of our Flat owners association. Now we want convert association it into cooperative society under cooperative society act. Builder has not still transferred land on which the flats are standing. My questions- ”
1. which should we registered as- service society OR housing society ?
2. Do we get right to stop sale/ transfer of flat without NOC from society ?
1. For running date to date operations every association is ok. Any specific reason why you want to create Cooperative society
2. As landowners are not of society, you can only form service society
3. There is no such requirement of NOC in law. Most societies can give no due certificate.
Sir, i live in Gujarat Housing board Valsad. Can we rent flat here. As many persons have purchased more than one flat, and same is sanctioned by GHB also. Can you please clarify the same.
My flat is in Valsad Gujarat Housing Board, Now a days there is a great movement going on by the current president in our society to become a service housing society so sir please tell me what are the pros and cons of service society?
Since there are 18 Building;s (1842 flats) and no one is aware of the ongoing works, is it right to set up a service society at such a time?
1. Service Society is a society which is not the owner of land nor building. Mostly land is owned by members’ joints and flats are held individually.
2. Purpose of creating a service society is for maintenance for common assets of members and handling day to day operation
3. Whether to create a service society or not right now will depend on
A. Common resources shared by members
B. Whether gated community or not
C. Looking at the number of flats, it is advisable to create multiple service societies, instead of one.
I stay in housing Service cooperative Society.
Shortly Builder is going to handover the possession to Society. Builder had collected Rs 1.50 lakh towards maintenance deposit and Rs 1.50 lakh towards maintenance Charges from all Flat owners.
Whether Builder is bound to transfer the Maintenance deposit to Society account along with intrest?
Whether Builder is bound to give audited account of maintenance charges collected from flat owner?
If builder fail to do so then is there any remedy in law?
1. Answer will depend on how long is it from BU date that handover is happening. Let me assume here that builder was suppose to maintain for 2 year from Rs 1.5 lacs. Thus on completion of 2 year, the builder should handover deposit with interest and balance if any maintenance amount.
Professionally managed developers open society accounts and collect all amounts from members in society accounts and all expenses are done from society accounts. At the time of handover, society gets this account along with all the amounts.
2. Ideally, members should be able to audit the expense but some agree and some do not agree. Our advice is if they do not agree, take the handover and then get the book audited.
3. Remedy if developer do not agree: File a case in RERA
Dear Sanjay ji,
Our society is a service society, I would like to know.
1. Is it compulsory for all the society members to attend the society’s Regular Meeting?
2. Our society has stated that if you let your home on rent then you will be charged with double maintenance. It’s 40 k for normal and if the tenant then 80K which is too high.
3. They also passed a resolution that if you park your vehicle in front of your row house then you need to pay 12000/- additionally.
As per my question the maintenance and parking charges are very heavy, are they liable to take the above charges if we are not agreed with such a decision of the society?
Do they comply with us legally to pay such charges?