Gujarat Cooperative Society Act has given many rights to members of cooperative society. Some of these are listed below.
Rights of Members
- Become member of society
- Sell flat / office
- Give flat / office on rent
- Stand for election of committee member
- Check books and other documents
- Attend annual general meeting (AGM) or Extraordinary general meeting (EGM)
- Right to Vote
Duties of Members
- Maintain Flat
- Attend AGM
- Pay Maintenance
- Cost Vote in AGM/EGM
Rights and duties of members come from 97th Constitution Amendment and Gujarat State Cooperative Society Act 1961.
Relevant clause from 97th Constitution Amendment
243-ZO. Right of a member to get information.-
(1) The Legislature of a State may, by law, provide for access to every member of a co-operative society to the books, information and accounts of the co-operative society kept in regular transaction of its business with such member.
(2) The Legislature of a State may, by law, make provisions to ensure the participation of members in the management of the cooperative society providing minimum requirement of attending meetings by the members and utilising the minimum level of services as may be provided in such law.
(3) The Legislature of a State may, by law, provide for co-operative education and training for its members.
6 thoughts on “Rights and Duties of Members of Society”
Can a housing society committee force its members to give in writing their opinion and reasons on an issue being discussed?
Any issue which the committee wants to seek opinion from its member, it should call a Special General Meeting.
குழு தனது உறுப்பினரிடம் கருத்து கேட்க விரும்பும் எந்தவொரு பிரச்சினையும், அது ஒரு சிறப்பு பொதுக் கூட்டத்தை அழைக்க வேண்டும்.
A special general meeting can be called by committee any time for any purpose.
Some members in our society are depositing cash of 50000/- without pan number to save Income tax
What should he society do
Society cannot accept or make payment in cash of more than Rs 10000 per day per member as per Income Tax Act. Thus Society should not accept such payments from members. Also from a control perspective cash should not be accepted from members.