As per Gujarat Cooperative Societies Act, 1961 and Amendments
“Member” means a person joining in an application for the registration of a cooperative society which is subsequently registered, or a person, duly admitted to membership of a society after registration, and incudes a nominal, associate or sympathiser member.
Explanation: Person joining in an Application means Proposers
Thus there are 4 types of members but there is no further definition provided.
- Nominal Member
- Associate Member
- Sympathizer Member
Gujarat Cooperative Society Act, 1961
- Notwithstanding anything contained in Section 22, a society of such class as may be prescribed may admit as a nominal, associate, or sympathiser member:
- Provided that the total members of associates and sympathiser members in a society shall not exceed 10% of the total number of members thereof.
- A nominal, associate or sympathiser member shall not be entitled to any share, in any form whatsoever, in the assets or profit of the society. Subject to the provisions of sub-section (6) of Section 28 a nominal, associate or sympathiser member shall have such privileges and rights of a member and be subject to such liabilities of a member, as may be specified in the bye-laws of the society.
Sec 28 (7)
No nominal or sympathiser member shall have the right to vote and no such member shall be eligible to be a member of a committee or for appointment as a representative of the society or any other society.
Gujarat Cooperative Rules Society, 1965
Rule 13. Classes of Societies eligible for admitting nominal, associate or sympathiser members
- A society of any class may admit any person as a nominal member.
- A society formed for the uplift of backward classes or schedule tribes, a labour contract society, a forest labourers society, a processing society or an industrial society may admit any person as an associate or sympathiser member
Election Rule : Housing / Service / Commercial Cooperative
3.4 : The nominal member will not have the right to vote or fight election of the Managing committee or be proposer or supporter of a candidate.
Class and Sub-class of Cooperative Societies may have additional definition and rights of Nominal, Associate and Sympathizers members in their Byelaws but with the preview above sections.