As per Gujarat Cooperative Societies Act, 1961 and Amendments
“Member” means a person joining in an application for the registration of a cooperative society which is subsequently registered, or a person, duly admitted to membership of a society after registration, and incudes a nominal, associate or sympathiser member.
Explanation: Person joining in an Application means Proposers
Thus there are 4 types of members but there is no further definition provided.
- Nominal Member
- Associate Member
- Sympathizer Member
Gujarat Cooperative Society Act, 1961
- Notwithstanding anything contained in Section 22, a society of such class as may be prescribed may admit as a nominal, associate, or sympathiser member:
- Provided that the total members of associates and sympathiser members in a society shall not exceed 10% of the total number of members thereof.
- A nominal, associate or sympathiser member shall not be entitled to any share, in any form whatsoever, in the assets or profit of the society. Subject to the provisions of sub-section (6) of Section 28 a nominal, associate or sympathiser member shall have such privileges and rights of a member and be subject to such liabilities of a member, as may be specified in the bye-laws of the society.
Sec 28 (7)
No nominal or sympathiser member shall have the right to vote and no such member shall be eligible to be a member of a committee or for appointment as a representative of the society or any other society.
Gujarat Cooperative Rules Society, 1965
Rule 13. Classes of Societies eligible for admitting nominal, associate or sympathiser members
- A society of any class may admit any person as a nominal member.
- A society formed for the uplift of backward classes or schedule tribes, a labour contract society, a forest labourers society, a processing society or an industrial society may admit any person as an associate or sympathiser member
Election Rule : Housing / Service / Commercial Cooperative
3.4 : The nominal member will not have the right to vote or fight election of the Managing committee or be proposer or supporter of a candidate.
Class and Sub-class of Cooperative Societies may have additional definition and rights of Nominal, Associate and Sympathizers members in their Byelaws but with the preview above sections.
2 thoughts on “Types of Members in Cooperative Societies”
If society chairman /secretary not giving a meeting agenda copy of meeting so what next procedure can does by society member
In case of housing society
It is mandatory to give meeting agenda along with AGM and AGM Notice. If the same is not received, please ask for the same in writing from committee. If still not received, you can raise complain with registrar