Gujarat Cooperative Society Act has given many rights to members of cooperative society. Some of these are listed below.
Rights of Members
- Become member of society
- Sell flat / office
- Give flat / office on rent
- Stand for election of committee member
- Check books and other documents
- Attend annual general meeting (AGM) or Extraordinary general meeting (EGM)
- Right to Vote
Duties of Members
- Maintain Flat
- Attend AGM
- Pay Maintenance
- Cost Vote in AGM/EGM
Rights and duties of members come from 97th Constitution Amendment and Gujarat State Cooperative Society Act 1961.
Relevant clause from 97th Constitution Amendment
243-ZO. Right of a member to get information.-
(1) The Legislature of a State may, by law, provide for access to every member of a co-operative society to the books, information and accounts of the co-operative society kept in regular transaction of its business with such member.
(2) The Legislature of a State may, by law, make provisions to ensure the participation of members in the management of the cooperative society providing minimum requirement of attending meetings by the members and utilising the minimum level of services as may be provided in such law.
(3) The Legislature of a State may, by law, provide for co-operative education and training for its members.